I made the tars for Plasma 5.2.2 yesterday. I use releaseme, the nice program by KDE hero Harald Sitter. Previously this took over 4 hours to make all 35 tars now it takes about 1 hour, lovely. Most of the time is checking out the translations which, to make life simpler for translators, are in a separate Subversion archive. The update Harald did now was to allow multiple checkouts, lovely. And with the docs people helping out too we have translations of documentation, Brazil is far ahead in its translations here.
The result was there was time in the day after running it to ponder improving the Plasma specific parts of the scripts so I added automation of a few bits to ensure consistency and make the process smoother. Making the announcement webpages for bugfix releases is now mostly automatic. Updating individual tars when problems are found it too. I finally got round to scripting updates to the version numbers in Bugzilla, it’s crazy there is no API for this. I borrowed Albert’s script for KDE Applications to make better full changelog pages. And I added some QA tests so I can check if there’s anything missing which should be there. It was quite a satisfying afternoon.
Now I just need to automate the announcements and the second half of the process will be easy too 🙂
The amazing Scarlett is busy building them for Kubuntu nowby