The Plasma team had a mammoth 2.5 hour meeting to discuss some of the aspects of the Plasma releases going forward. Much of the debate was around when to do an LTS release and we’ve gone with Plasma 5.12 due in January. There will continue to be a couple of 5.8LTS releases in 2018 and more as necessary. We’re picking up 5.12 as an LTS at the request of openSUSE who wanted it for their next Leap release. We also banned new features which might affect the Wayland port unless they’re already functional in Wayland. Here’s the full list.
- Stick to current schedule for Plasma 5.11, release Sep 21 2017
- Plasma 5.8LTS to get 5.8.8LTS in April and 5.8.9LTS in October then become very strict update (security fixes only, no translations, releases as necessary)
- Plasma 5.12 to be LTS on similar Fibonacci schedule as 5.8LTS, expected to require Qt 5.9, supported for at least 2 years
- Schedule 4 month releases for 2018 to sync with frameworks
- No more new workspace features that would need Wayland porting unless Wayland version is done first
- bshah to create a meta 5.11 task and add features as dep to that one
- bshah to poke people into filling out itemised To Do cards
- Riddell to be kicked until adding openqa to Neon
- Beta time to become three weeks
- Promote https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Live_Images#Ships_Plasma_5.10_beta harder at beta time and nudge developers and contributors into running beta code
7 Replies to “Plasma 5.11 and Greater Kicked Off”
Comments are closed.